Saturday 23 July 2011

Armenian parents response to New York gay marriages :)

As you may know, New York is gearing up for their first legal gay marriages.

Thanks to @writepudding, I got this link to The New York Times Special Issue on Gay Marriage.

There was this story there that tells of parents of gay children pushing for gay marriage.
With same-sex marriage now legal in New York, some gay sons and daughters are starting to feel the same heat from parents as do their straight siblings.
...and I started imagining what the Armenian parent would do in the similar circumstances: pushing for marriage of their gay children, fixing 'accidental' date meetings, say, for their son with a son of their friend etc. :))
"տղա ջան, տունն ես մնացել, այդքան լավ տղերք կան մեր շրջապատում, մեկին չես կարում ճարել"
And thanks to Bella, I got reminded of this hilarious anecdote (AM) - not new but still too funny and very relevant - that I have to share with you:

Էդ անեկդոտը գիտես չէ, որ երկու սփյուռքահայ կին հանդիպում են, պարզվում ա, որ մեկի տղան տղայի հետ ա ամուսնացել, մյուսը ասում ա, - «Գոնե հայ ա» ?

1 comment:

artmika said...

Here is a story from The Guardian re similar sentiment in Jewish family:

'I don't want to live denying I'm gay'

"[...] When I'm in a relationship and want to introduce a man to my parents, I'll think about how they will react.

He would have to be Jewish. It's important to my family, but to me too. My religion is a huge part of my identity. To marry out would mean cutting off a large part of my life. My parents said that being gay is one thing, but marrying out would be worse."